Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Plugs and Pickets

Okay, I got my buddy Chris to fix the pipe I busted - thanks Chris! Fortunately I was nearly done trenching before calamity struck so I was able to start right into installing all the PVC pipe and sprinkler heads.

Everything went in pretty well. I got all the valves working too. Since I don't have electricity to the property I have to use battery powered valves. Home Depot has em' that run on a 9 volt battery. I set them to turn on a 5:30 am and run for 30 minutes. Not to bore you with the details but something went wrong and water filled up the valve box and shorted out the valves and one didn't turn off. Fortunately my good neighbor Dean called and alerted me to the flooding. I drove right over and shut the main valve off.

I stood there for a good 10 minutes scratching my head. I could not figure out what the problem was; no leaks, broken pipes, or overflow. The only thing that I should have done different was put the valves above ground level. Anyway, the valves were ruined and I had to reconfigure my orignal setup to get the replacements above ground level.

Everything is working fine now. I plugged the front yard of the Blue Myrtle House (Lot) with grass from the front yard of our house. Once I'm sure the sprinklers are going to work like I want I'm going to plant a tree in the west side of the front yard.

I've been working on a picket fence to replace the one that was at the end of the driveway. The original fence was pretty old and falling apart, besides that someone decided they needed it more than me and walked off with it in the middle of the night. All 22 feet of it! The old fence wasn't secured into the ground either. The fence I'm working on now is being constructed out of the old 2x4s from the house. I ripped and cut for a few hours to get the pickets the size I wanted.

These are pics of the where grass isn't in our front yard and where grass is in the front yard of the Blue Myrtle House (Lot). The holes in the front yard of our house should be overgrown in about a week. The Blue Myrtle House yard should be almost covered by November. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. I'm amazed and impressed at your ingenuity and perserverence! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I told you anytime... My invitation is still there if I can help you with anything?
    And it's looking great...

    ReplyDelete