Sunday, June 6, 2010

Irrigation = Irritation

My goal has been to do has much as I can myself. In other words, not have to pay anybody to do something I am able to do myself. When I say myself that includes family and friends. It has been the help and prayers of family and friends that I am as far as I am. Without them I'd be nowhere.

Okay, having said that. Even though there are things I can do, I really really don't want to do them. For instance lawn irrigation. I am so tempted just to hire someone to do this, but I want to do it all. I'm not above renting machines and tools to help me in this endeavor which is what I did for this job. I started out with a pick and shovel, but the heat was too much. I decided I'd rent a trencher from Home Depot. One of the better decision I've made. It saved major time and effort. Todd helped me trench out about 100'. It was still grueling work, it was 100 degrees out, but we got it done. The only bad part was when I hit the main water pipe to the house. GEYSER! Man was I "unhappy" about that. Fortunately Dean and Charlie from across the street saw what happened and came to my rescue. I didn't have any tools with me to turn off the city valve. Dean was able to shut it off pretty quickly but there was water everywhere, mud too. The only good thing about it was I got cooled off from all the water raining down on me.

All right where we at; cost of renting trencher and cost of having pipe repaired. Hmmmm, what would have been cheaper me and Todd doing this or hire a professional? I'm still not done with this job, I've only got the trenches dug. I still gotta lay the PVC and put in sprinklers. I got the valves done, at least those are all ready to go.

Have you ever noticed that Todd is usually wearing a red shirt and I'm wearing a yellow one?


No comments:

Post a Comment