Saturday, December 19, 2009

Almost Topless

The entire roof is nearly off. I worked most of the day clearing debris from the second level. It sure piles up fast. I cleaned up the alley side of the house. I didn't mention in the last post about the big sewer pipe we pulled off the side of the house. There are, or were 2 big sewer pipes that ran/run up the side of the house. The only thing holding one of the pipes in place was the hole it was fished through in the roof. One still remains and is actually attached to the side of the house. You can kinda see the big pipes going up the side of the house in the picture below, click on it to enlarge. I don't know what they are made of but they are very heavy. Mark held the pipe in place and tied a rope around the top. I went to the ground and pulled the rope in the direction we wanted the pipe to fall. Had it fell on its own it would have probably smashed the white picket fence along the alley.

Today I freed the last remaining portion of the roof from the top plates of the walls. This was another great video moment missed. When I cut the last remaining support it came down with a crash within the interior of the house. Man was it loud! I'm pleasantly surprised how sturdy this house is considering its condition. After I pulled off the metal sheathing, old asphalt shingles, and most of the planks from the fallen section I called it quits. I can't remember if I mentioned there was a layer of asphalt shingles under the metal sheathing or not in a previous post. It's actually rolled asphalt and it is very dried out and crumbly. What you see me covered in is that stuff. It's a good thing it doesn't snow here or else this roof woulda collapsed under the weight years ago.

From June 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment